Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ahh, the sequences!

Today we discussed, and played with, patterns and sequences. How interesting! We deal with numbers and their patterns daily and might not even realize it. I visited BB link on the Fibonacci Sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8,13...) , which applies the sequence in a few different ways. Lets just say I learned a lot about honey bees that I didn't previously know (Did you know that male honeybees only have a mother and no father? Yeah, me either).

Don't get me wrong, I like patterns as much as the next person, however, I am rarely the first person to figure them out... So, I will probably be checking out Google to find some of the different patterns in Pascal's Triangle. (I preferred the visual patterns with the manipulatives on page 19). So when you are trying to explain patterns and how they work, don't forget there are different learning types which may understand the 'fun' approach with the colorful tiles better than jumping straight into the number sequences!

Here is a fun thing to play with (using the 'visual manipulatives': pattern blocks!). Click Here

Until next time,
Rose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment